Depart from the Office on Time - Breathing Space Blog
Here's what you can do, on a typical weekday, to leave on time when you choose to:
1. Tell everyone that you have a personal commitment at 5:30 that evening. If you have a
child you could say that your child is in need of important parental assistance. Schedule
something for 5:30 that evening if it helps.
2. Mark on your calendar that you'll be leaving at five.
3. Sleep well the night before.
4. Eat a light lunch.
5. Strike a bargain with yourself at the start of the day, in late morning, in early
afternoon, and in late afternoon.
6. View any intrusion as merely part of the workday.
7. Once striking the bargain with yourself, don't add more items at the last minute.
8. Imagine how you'll feel when you leave right at closing time (however, there is no
reason for you to be staring at the clock for the last 45 minutes).
9. Ask a co-worker to walk you out at closing time.