112 Years Ago: A Simpler Time? - Breathing Space Blog
* The tallest structure in the world is the Eiffel Tower!
* The average wage is .22/hr. The average worker earns between $200 and $400 per year. A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $ 4,000 per year. A mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
* More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home. Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."
* Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
* And, about our neighbors to the north: Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.